Magnet Schools of America Honors 37 Schools
January 23, 2020
The Magnet Schools of America (MSA) National Merit Awards program has named a total of 37 WCPSS magnet schools as either Schools of Excellence or Schools of Distinction.
Sixteen schools have been named Schools of Excellence, up from 11 last year. Twenty-one have been named Schools of Distinction by MSA.
To receive a national merit award, members of Magnet Schools of America must submit a detailed application that is scored by a panel of educators. These schools are judged and scored on their demonstrated ability to raise student academic achievement, promote racial and socioeconomic diversity, provide integrated curricula and instruction, and create strong family and community partnerships that enhance the school’s magnet theme.
There are two categories of awards that have been established by MSA:
Magnet School of Excellence Awards are given to only a select group of magnet schools that have demonstrated the highest level of excellence in all facets of the merit award application.
Magnet School of Distinction Awards are the second level of awards and are given to magnet schools that have met all the basic requirements outlined in the merit awards scoring rubric.
Magnet applications for the 2020-21 school year are being accepted through Jan. 30.
Following is a list of those magnet schools recognized this year.
Schools of Excellence
- Carnage Gifted and Talented/AIG Basics Magnet Middle
- Carroll Leadership in Technology Magnet Middle
- Combs Leadership Program Magnet Elementary
- Fox International Baccalaureate PYP Magnet Elementary
- Hunter Gifted & Talented / AIG Basics Magnet Elementary
- Joyner Center for Spanish Language/IB PYP Magnet Elementary
- Ligon Gifted & Talented/AIG Basics Magnet Middle
- Millbrook International Baccalaureate Magnet High
- Reedy Creek Magnet Middle Center for the Digital Sciences
- Stough Chinese Language Immersion Magnet Elementary
- Wake Early College of Health and Sciences High
- Washington Gifted and Talented Magnet Elementary
- Wendell Creative Arts & Science Magnet Elementary
- Wiley International Studies Magnet Elementary
- Zebulon Gifted and Talented Magnet Elementary
- Zebulon Gifted and Talented Magnet Middle
Schools of Distinction
- Athens Drive Center for Medical Sciences and Global Health Initiatives Magnet High
- Brentwood Magnet Elementary School of Engineering
- Brooks Museums Magnet Elementary
- Broughton Global Studies/Language Immersion Magnet High
- Conn Magnet Elementary School of Entrepreneurial Design
- Daniels Global Studies/Language Immersion Magnet Middle
- East Garner International Baccalaureate MYP/Creative Arts Magnet Middle
- East Millbrook Academy of Visual and Performing Arts Magnet Middle
- Enloe Gifted and Talented/International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme Magnet High
- Fuller Gifted and Talented/AIG Basics Magnet Elementary
- Garner International Baccalaureate Middle Years & Diploma Programme Magnet High
- Green Leadership and World Languages Magnet Elementary
- Jeffreys Grove Magnet Elementary
- Kingswood Montessori/STEM Magnet Elementary
- Moore Square Gifted & Talented/ AIG Basics Magnet Middle
- Poe Gifted & Talented/AIG Basics Elementary
- Powell Center for Play and Ingenuity Magnet Elementary
- Smith International Baccalaureate PYP Magnet Elementary
- Vernon Malone College and Career Academy
- Wake STEM Early College High School
Visit , for more information.